Sarktales

It's all about me.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Almost there...

Whew, I'm tired today. Errands and social obligations leave little space for alone time. Yesterday only involved a few errands, and the rest of the day was spent slothing around with my husband who was preparing for his own flight to New Zealand. He was in a stressed-out mode that involved much questioning of his career and choices, so as Faithful Wife I listened, sympathized and offered my opinions. It's a tough thing, relationships. You have to learn when the other is simply venting or needing a legitimate feedback or requiring whack in the head. I usually save the last for dire situations but sometimes it adds a little levity to the situation.

But now he's off, and hopefully has reached Wellington safe and sound. I hope he can spend the rest of the weekend re-acclimating and avoiding work. This is the third time he's flown to New Zealand in three months, so I can see why he's over it. Me, I'm all sorts of excited.

I'm down to just a couple more errands, my last improv show tonight and thinking about packing. Everyone I talk to asks if I'm packed yet. I never pack in advance because then I can't find my stuff. I figure whatever I wear here is what I'll be wearing in Australia/New Zealand, so I already know what to pack. Is that weird? People have been looking at me like I'm insane when I say I'm a)not packed and b)not stressed.

The good news is that I now have four publications interested in articles while I'm traveling. Two gay print, one non-gay web, and most excitingly, one non-gay, travel-oriented print. Having worked for a well-known travel journalist has been a huge help in getting editors to actually give me a chance, and it's given me renewed vigor to pursue a freelance career. Since my husband's jobs requires the utmost flexibility from me, I need to develop a career that can move with me. Plus I work well when I'm at home in my PJs. Go figure.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:22 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

    I wish I worked well from home. I have off days and I'm completely slothlike. I consider it a productive day off when I empty and reload the dishwasher. What is wrong with me?!

    How long are you going to be in New Zealand?

    We must share notes on the doting wife tending to the disillusioned husband. Chris hates his job daily (rightfully so) and I get so tired of listening to him vent without seeing him make changes. I don't feel very nice.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home