Sarktales

It's all about me.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Otto likes panties

So the vet says that Otto has "trust issues." He's very defensive if you mess with him when he's resting, resorting to very aggressive snarls. And by "mess," I simply mean trying to move the little bugger. It doesn't happen too often, since you can usually get him to move by bumping him over or standing up, but if you physically put your hands on him, he growls. We're not exactly sure how to cure this. I mean, trust issues? Who doesn't have trust issues?

We've tried the domination thing, lots of no's, water bottle squirts. Then Aaron discovered the other day that when Otto gets overly excited and wanting to chew on our hands (it's not aggressive, just playful, but a potentially scary thing for people who don't know him), he was able to calm down the dog by petting his head. I also discovered that he liked being tapped on the top of his skull (I was bored).) So last night when he was starting that gutteral little groan that can escalate into a full on snarl attack, Aaron petted him and I tapped his head, and he calmed down. So maybe if we keep trying that, we can teach him that we're not trying to hurt him, or take over his space or anything. Besides, what's space to a 10 pound Chihuahua that sleeps nestled against my butt?

Anyhoo, here are more pictures.

I accidentally got someone's red g-string mixed up in my laundry. Either that or my husband is cheating on me, but honestly, when it comes to stuff getting lost and found in the laundry, the first option is much more likely. Because I'm a big procrastinator, it's been sitting on my dresser for a couple of weeks. I finally threw it on the floor with the intention of bringing it back down to the laundry room, which wasn't very bright of me since Otto takes everything and anything that is on the floor-- socks, shoes, feathers... So with apologies to its rightful owner, I think the panties now belong to Otto.




Considering his rude behaviour when he's sleeping, you'd think he would be all territorial when he's eating. But he's surprisingly polite. His bowls are near the fridge and dishwasher, and if I have to open either one while he's eating, he backs away quite nicely. Anyhoo, I just think he's really cute when he eats. *head down* crunch crunch *head up, mouth open* crunch crunch *head back down* crunch crunch ...

I still haven't found the red-eye (or in this case, demon blue) reduction feature.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:20 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

    Not to be the weird sister-in-law who gives too much dog advice, but dogs are nesters and when they are sleeping or cuddled safely somewhere, they consider that area their "den". Disturbing a dog who is sleeping or nestled in that space generally elicits some sort of warning reaction. That's not true of all dogs, but, in my experience, it's true with a lot of them. Sometimes they are just surprised awake. That's how the patting or petting can help a bit. It's less jarring. We don't allow Jelly to sleep with us in the bed, because any shifting causes her to growl aggressively. Loki is better about it, but not perfect. Even Poi sometimes did that. It's pretty normal.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home