Sarktales

It's all about me.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Sydney Day

Yay hotel internet! Okay, I'm paying 10 Australian cents a minute, but at least I have internet access that isn't monitered by other people's internationally recognized companies. I would be awfully embarrassed if my cousin got canned because her work tracked me Googling "gay Melbourne."

So I'm in Sydney. I've had a wonderful day so far, and I'm about to get myself a glass of wine which can only make it more wonderful. I've come to terms with the fact that I've completely lost touch with the value of the dollar (as I just inserted another dollar coin into the internet terminal) so I'm going to take myself out for an obscenely expensive dinner. Well, maybe not obscene, but certainly not frugal. I've completely lost track of what I've spent as of late. This morning at the airport in Melbourne, I realized my watch battery had died. So I bought a new ($20) watch. Then I bought a plug adaptor so I can finally turn on my own computer and charge up my Game Boy, which I'm sure will delight my little cousin to no end.

Add on a harbour cruise, a ticket to the zoo, foodstuff and what I hope will be a yummy dinner, perhaps involving some sort of crab, and there I've spent more money than I can fathom. But it's all been worth it. The Sydney harbour is just gorgeous and the zoo...oh the zoo. I mean, I know I just saw all those animals yesterday, and really, once you've seen one koala hanging off a tree ignoring you, you've seen them all. But there's such a difference in seeing them in what at least masquerades as a natural environment. I have dozens of what I imagine to be the most amazing pictures from today. An d I maintain that there's just no way anyone could ever doubt evolution after watching a family of gorillas chilling out. There was a big breasted momma nursing and snuggling with her tiny baby, whle daddy sat against the wall obliviously chewing on some leaves and two older kids took turns knocking each other off a hammock.

Tomorrow I'm going to climb the Harbour Bridge, which promises to be a 3.5 hour excursion, although I think only one of those hours involves climbing up. There's an orientation and of course, one has to get back down. The bridge is huge so I'm a little apprehensive of a) falling off and b) my kneecaps. But since I'm only now just easing myself into being an adventurous traveler, I figure this is a good way to start. I realized today that this is really the first time I've ever traveled to a city on my own with no purpose except to learn about that city. No school, not work, no companions. Just me and my recently developed ability to read a map.

I promise pictures soon. Once I can hook up my camera to my computer and my computer to the net, I should be all set. And then all those who have asked can see my lesbian-ish hair. It's getting longer, and a 45-minute harbour cruise did wonders to the styling that most hairdressers can only dream of creating.

Okay, off to find the perfect pinot in the ideal setting. More tomorrow.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:41 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

    I've always wanted to go on a trip by myself, but I was thinking of something much more--well, local. I'm very impressed with your chutzpah.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home