Sarktales

It's all about me.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Cookie monster

I'm very proud to say that I went (almost) a week eating no sweets at all. After discovering last weekend that I've gained a distressing amount of weight, I realized that my comfort level with food has gotten a little too, er, comfortable. It's nice to finally be able to eat without feeling guilty or weird about it, but it didn't meant that I don't still have an odd relationship with food. As in, I really, really like food.

I came to depend on eating something sweet after every meal, sometimes more than once, plus I'm eating pretty subtantial meals. Most nights I'm happy with a big old bowl of tomato soup, but being married now, I feel more pressure to cook a couple nights a week. That means big bowls of pasta, hunks of meat, crouton-filled salads. These are all good things that I enjoy making and eating, but paired with a night full of cookies, frozen yogurt and candy, it really adds up.

So I've been keeping my meals pretty normal, but ate fruit and yogurt instead of reduced-fat Oreos and mini Reese's peanut butter cups (mmmm)... I have to say, it felt good. Very empowering. It got to the point when I was actually looking forward to eating an orange after dinner. They're as sweet as cookies, but I didn't feel the need to eat six of them.

Last night we got Arby's for dinner (I'm not trying to diet, people), and they had these yummy looking chocolate chunk cookies sitting in a case. I very happily ordered one and it was the perfect ending to the meal. After eating it, I found myself craving more, but I managed to push it off (okay, later I substituted with a few Doritos and an orange, but the point is that I didn't eat more sweets!)

Yeah, okay, so I'm not quite ready to weigh myself again. But at least I'm doing something proacative.

If you're missing Otto posts: I exhausted the heck out of him today by chasing him around with the dreaded vaccuum cleaner, jogging to our obedience class, and then working on training for over an hour. At long last, the little guy is fast asleep, snoring on the sofa, just the way I like him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home