Sarktales

It's all about me.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Am I a drama queen?

Not everyone knows this about me, but I'm actually a petty, envious bitch at lot of the times. I try to keep it inside, but I have jealousy over anyone who has a more successful career than I, and at the rate I'm going, the numbers are piling up.

So last night I had a mild case of "what am I doing, what kind of career am I heading toward, why aren't I more successful at the age of 30." Not so bad, nothing unusual. Then I came home and happened upon an article online that a girl from my high school has written a book! Why is a random new book being written about on headline news? Well, she's written a "Devil Wears Prada"-style tell-all about working for Judith Regan. The kicker is that she sold the book BEFORE the Judith Regan scandal, which means that she's guaranteed to skyrocket to success while still being a nice person!

Yes, as I recall, this girl was a very nice person. Like ridiculously nice. Like the kind of girl you like on sight, that the boys fall in love with and the girls can't hate. I may be projecting a bit, since I didn't actually know her all that well. But I do remember that she came into my high school a little later in the game, like in her sophomore year when I was a junior. One friend (frenemy) of mine was devastated with this girl snagged the lead in the school musical. I was a little in awe when she started dating the senior boy whom I had a crush on years earlier- he's actually kind of a douchebag and seriously I only had a crush on him in 7th grade, but even he's a more successful writer than I am. And, um, oh yeah, she went to Harvard. I went to Tufts which is unofficially known as the dumping ground for students who can't get into Harvard. And now she writes the chick-lit book that I've always dreamed about writing...AFTER an illustrious editing career that involved working in places like Vanity Fair AND Simon and Schuster (where I had my very first, rather short lived, quite unsuccessful first job after college.)

Sigh. I'm wallowing in my own lack of ambition. I know all the wonderful things I have in life, and Aaron even held up the dog as evidence of all the nice things I've achieved. Then I drank most of a bottle of champagne, got into a fight with Aaron and cried on the sofa for a while. Drama queen? Me?

2 Comments:

  • At 8:47 AM , Blogger harrietcat said...

    OMG, I was totally going to write about this, but you got to it first!

    Ohren steif, as they say auf Deutsch! Which is kind of like chin up, but it means keep your ears up. I dunno, like a horse? Don't let them droop. You are fabulous and you totally rock and we, for one, love you (me, Jan, Harriet, Emma, Puj and Kristin)

    Maybe I'll steal the topic anyway, since I'm feeling insecure about my blog....

    lots of love,
    H.xx

     
  • At 8:49 AM , Blogger harrietcat said...

    And btw, what's wrong with being a drama queen? You ask the question as if this is some kind of problem.

    Bring on the hissy fits!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home