Sarktales

It's all about me.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Not about my dog's poop

The only person who comments regularly on my blogs is someone I don't think I know. I've been debating calling out Wilson, since it could be someone I know well, or someone I've never met. The latter sounds like a level of public exposure via blog that I'm not comfortable with.

But Wilson did make an insightful comment that demonstrates that whoever it is probably knows me. Because the question was "Any insight on Anna Nicole?" See, I'm kind of obsessed with pop culture. Not in any disturbing way, I just read two or three gossip blogs on a daily basis, so I'm usually ahead of the game when it comes to knowing what's going on. And loving to hate the Lindsay Lohans and Paris Hiltons of the world because the media tells me to. I know what's going on, I do. I know I'm being manipulated, but I accept that.

So I've vaguely been privvy to the whole DNA scandal over Anna Nicole's baby and the mysterious death of her son. But I'm also mildly obsessed with bad reality TV, so I've actually seen all the episodes of her reality show. I try not to use cliches, but good lord it was such the epitome of the train wreck metaphor. I couldn't look away.

So anyway, when I heard she was dead, I was a little surprised by how involved I got with the media coverage for the past day or so. One blogger put it quite well when he asked in the middle of a post, "Why am I so sad?" Because it is sad, and I think many people are mildly surprised at their own reaction to her death. Public figures have faces, and I suppose we need to associate some kind of personal tie to someone before we can feel realy sympathy. So, you know, it's a sad soap opera that's going to grip the nation for a while, and I'm very curious to see how it all plays out. Still,I feel terrible that a little girl has to be caught up in all of this. It would be nice if we could all be entertained by the saga without any other people having to be hurt, but I don't know if that's possible.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:50 AM , Blogger Suz said...

    I know just what you mean - Shan and I try to scoop each other on celeb gossip and she scooped me on Anna Nicole. We were both very sad. I miss her antics - it felt like I was watching a friend of a friend. Maybe we are all quasi-sociologists - just wanting to study the variations in our species and see where we fit in.

     
  • At 9:38 AM , Blogger harrietcat said...

    Oooh, blog intrigue! Not Anna Nicole's DNA - I have no opinion on that - but the identity of the masked Wilson. Wilson, out thyself!!

    Hey, you're lucky anyone comments on your blog. (That's my self-pity talking...)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home