Sarktales

It's all about me.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Who am I becoming?

I've officially turned into the person I never thought I would be. I don't mean referring to myself as "mommy" and coercing my husband into playing a rousing game of "Who does Otto love more?" Oh no, it's gone far beyond all that.

I bought our dog a sweatshirt.

A blue hoodie with rhinestones, to be exact.

Now in my defense, I must say that he is part chihuahua and they get chilly. And after his near escape the other day, I thought it would be a good idea to put something reflective on his tiny black body. And, um, Aaron and I often wear hoodies and it's really cute to have a matching dog. And they didn't have anything without rhinestones.

Otto also went to the groomer today for what was probably the first time ever. The groomer was a very friendly, capable looking woman who seemed to truly love dogs. But the place seriously looked like a dry cleaners. Actually, it may well have been a dry cleaners at one point. It had the front counter thingy and a window to a big back room filled with dogs in various stages of washing. It was also very loud what with all the running water and barking dogs.

The groomer was very swift in not letting me coddle Otto, reassuring me that he would be just fine. As I left the place, I looked back and realized he was in a crate right by the window- and he saw me walking away! He stared at me with such a confused look on his face that my heart just broke. I really didn't want him to have any weird flashbacks of being left at the shelter. But, as my mom pointed out, I've developed a tendency to put human characteristics on him, so whether or not such flashbacks really exist are beyond my scope of knowledge.

Fortunately there was a Petco nearby where I did some serious guilt shopping. This included a squeaky stuffed cow, as he already tore apart his new sheep. And the hoodie. He loves it. And I love it too. So I'm sticking by it and standing up for the person I've become:



Okay, so he didn't *love* the hoodie at first. It confused him, especially when I put the hood over his head.


But I think he likes it now, don't you?



The groomer put a bow on him. I know, if our dog turns out to be gay it'll be my own fault.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:40 AM , Blogger SC said...

    you are a strange, strange woman.

     
  • At 8:06 AM , Blogger harrietcat said...

    I'm curious, and I don't mean this in a snarky way - what do groomers do with a nearly hairless dog? Apart from dress him up in a bow (at least it's a blue bow, to preserve some of his virility...)

    That hoodie is too cute.

     
  • At 10:01 AM , Blogger sarika said...

    I will clarify harrietcat...I was trying to stay away from my poop fixation, but groomers actually express doggies' anal glands. Also they clipped his toenails, which is tricky business, and he needed a good scrubbing. I'm not cut out for all of this dog nonsense.

     
  • At 4:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am SO atuned to your stories - I've become dog obsessed. I actually bought "dog clothes hangers" - yes Target sells them. Otto will need more than one outfit, you know.
    Susan

     
  • At 9:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I also bought our chihuahua a hoodie last week. It says "Punk Barker", which I decided we had to have since his "daddy" is in a band. It kicks ass. It really does. I'll post pics. You will dig it. :)

    -Shannon

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home