Sarktales

It's all about me.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

30 and Counting

I have to say, day one of being 30 was sort of sucky, but I take full responsibility. Despite the break in bad weather with a lovely Saturday,** I decided it would be a great idea to just lounge around the apartment all day with no concern of being outdoors or exploring. That's always a great idea for about 3 hours, and then I turn into a big ball of sloth with no ability to do anything except stare at the TV. I didn't even have a book to read. I was pretty cranky by the end of the day. It was a silly thing to d0- I can't just sit around when I'm at home, so there's no reason I should be able to do the same while in a brand new city. With less TV, no car and only one friend.

**I would like to clarify that Aaron just pointed out that Saturday wasn't actually nice weather at all. He reminded me that it rained all day. So I feel better about my lazy day.

But most of all what I realized is that I desperately need exercise. Walking around and the occasional climbing steps doesn't really cut it, and I think going from a pretty regular (though not frequent) workout schedule to hardly any at all is getting me down. Plus it's hard to put on a cute outfit and take on the world when all you can think about is the size of your thighs. I honestly haven't thought about the state of my thighs this much since I was in college, and I tell you it's Not Fun to deal with.

So yesterday I took matters into my own hands. I went about town (still not very far as I haven't worked out the bus system here yet) with many missions and goals. Number one was to find a gym, which I did for a relatively reasonable price. I have a friend coming to stay with us in a week to travel with me, so I don't even know if I'll get enough use out of this gym (she says while sitting on the sofa for half the morning) but at this point anything will be worth it.

I also dragged Aaron out for a beer to enjoy the lovely weather and we walked around the city for a while. We passed a jewelry store, so I gave him a lesson on what kind of jewelry Sarika likes. I broke it down into "White stones are always good, dark blue is sometimes good, even red can be good, but green and purple aren't so good." He told me I have expensive tastes, but considering that I didn't even notice the $36,000 ring that he pointed out, I think I'm easy to please. I noted that my engagement ring cost him nothing (it was his mom's) while my wedding ring cost next to nothing because I found it in a thrift shop. Now, I'm not a big jewelry person, but I figure I should start instructing him now before our 10th anniversary sneaks up on us and I end up with a vacuum cleaner.

Well, all this talk about how I need exercise, how happy I am to have found a gym, how exercise cleanses the soul... it's pretty pointless until I actually get off my ass and out there. I'm working on it.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:06 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

    Okay, so my mom and I both have two dates for your birthday. What is the actual date?

    Those flowers are gorgeous.

    You inspired me to get back to the gym. I always feel better when I work out, but I forget so quickly how wonderful it is and replace it with dread. Why is that?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home