Sarktales

It's all about me.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Sushi 101

1. When the sushi place you enter only has one type of fresh fish, walk away. This particular place had only fresh salmon. Otherwise I had the option of canned tuna, smoked chicken (!) and assorted vegetables.
2. When the woman behind the counter doesn't understand the concept of sushi over rice versus rolls, walk away.
3. When the sushi place charges for every blip of wasabi, eensy containers of ginger and soy sauce in little single serving pods and doesn't include chopsticks, walk away.

Me, I chose to do none of these. The salmon that I brough home had a weird, crinkly appearance. It was really really bright orangey pink. It had brownish edges. And it didn't taste like anything. The rice was kind of dry. The soy sauce I bought at the grocery store the other day was kind of thick and sweet. All in all, pretty gross.

I did have a fine day otherwise. I meant to take the bus to the Chocolate Fish Cafe, which is a little place by the water that my tour guide said was a popular getaway cafe for locals. It's popular with locals because it's hard to get to without a car, but I figured the tourism office could explain how to get there. They said take the number 30 bus, and the terminal was located about a 15 minute walk away. When I got there, I realized that the bus wasn't going to show up until 4:15. It was only about one o'clock at that point.

So I gave up and took the cable car up to the botanic gardens. It's quite lovely there, and I did lots of walking up and down hills for a couple of hours that made feel like I got in some good exercise in fresh air. On the way home was the unfortunate sushi decision. But we're going out with some of hubby's coworkers tonight, so hopefully a beer or two will wash away the memory of grody fish.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:03 PM , Blogger Suz said...

    I'm enjoying your adventures - even the food descriptions -if only they affected my appetite - but no, I'm already thinking of walking to the candy machine in my hotel- I'll just stay away from sushi for awhile!
    Susan

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home