Sarktales

It's all about me.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Unbeknownst to me, I put our dog in Steelers colors today. I dropped him off at the groomers and stopped by Petco to get him a new name tag. His old tag disappeared at least a couple of weeks ago, and I've been a very bad parent not getting him one earlier but I've had to put most of my life on hold for the past few weeks.

It was disconcerting, because usually his tag would clink clink when he walked. Without it, he would just suddenly appear places. Like he'd be asleep in bed, I'd get up to go to the kitchen, and presto, there he was standing right in front of the sink. I'd go to the bathroom, and there was dog, silently staring at me next to the toilet. So I'm glad he has a new tag- I got him a big one this time, shaped like a bone.

And since I can't go to Petco without stocking up on useless stuff, Otto now has a bag of treats from the clearance bin, a new rope and ball from said bin, and a little yellow and black shirt (not from bin, but only $10). It's the same colors as the Pittsburgh Steelers. Aaron was thrilled when I sent him this photo (he's in New Zealand. Such a jet-setter).





In a fit of exhaustion and self-pity, I also spent $250 in gift cards at Pier One yesterday. Then I spent two hours that I don't have rearranging and tidying the living room, and I'm SO proud at how it looks. It's not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than before. I can't wait to pick up my giant circley red chair from Pier One on Monday. I already have the little matching footstool, and a new lamp.

So I'm very proud to complain that I've been working ridiculous numbers of hours every day. The past month has been hellish in terms of deadlines and paralyzing fear that I can't accomplish everything that I'm supposed to, but it's getting done, slowly but surely. I've been grinding my teeth, clenching and cracking my jaw and biting my nails like a crazy woman (I'm orally fixated). Last night I had my dreaded stress nightmare that my teeth fell out- it was a little different than normal because usually in my dream my teeth are really loose and I start pulling them out. This time, I dreamt that I ground my front teeth down to little nubs and poky bits, and then found a loose tooth and pulled it out. It was really horrific, but waking up is always a big relief.

Fortunately, I do keep reminding myself that it's not like I'm slaving in the coal mines. Lately, my jobs of researching two different books for other people mostly involves sitting on the sofa or in bed, preferably in PJs, just writing, writing and writing. And I make phone calls. As of May I'm going to have to be a slave to office hours again, with just one of the current book projects on top of that. But as long as I never have to work on two books at the same time, ever again, I'll be a happy woman. Lesson learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home